Not much is known about Mr. Staple's personal life. According to Francis, he was born in China.
Mr. Staples is first mentioned on the announcements. He makes his first physical appearance when, in his class, the class takes a pop quiz. Nate thought he finished first, but did not see the back side until it was time to pass it in. He tried to finish it, but Mr. Staples grabbed his quiz. Nate pulled back, and it ripped. Nate got another detention (he already had five of them) for this.
As part of Nate's plan to behave for the day, Mr. Staples appeared telling a joke and Nate was aside him, laughing.
He was shown in Nate's comics as a bad dancer when he does the robot.
He says Nate's math homework was the Mona Lisa of bar graphs. This was when Uncle Pedro's hypnosis turned Nate into a school success.
Mr. Staples is just as devoted to his work as any teacher is. He is also known to not be humorous around his students, although he himself thinks otherwise and tells lame jokes.
- Mr. Staples is the facilitator of the math team, probably because he is the math teacher.
- He is not good at telling jokes, as described by Nate.
- He is also known to have said: "Math is all around us! You'll use math every day of your life!".
- He is bad at doing the robot when it comes to dancing.
- He is a bit different in the comics than in the book.
- On May 28, 1992, It's revealed he was born in China.
- He is a bit better than all Nate's other teachers. (As seen in Nate's teacher ratings comic; in which Nate calls a public service.)
- He is rated as 'upset monthly' in Nate's 'P.S. 38 ANGERGRAPH!'