Ken Rosa is the art teacher in P.S. 38. Whenever Nate chooses his favorite teacher, it would be Mr. Rosa. This is mostly because Mr. Rosa is too burned out to teach "real" stuff. Mr. Rosa is was one of the major characters back in the 1990s in the Big Nate series. Nate has got detention several times from Mr. Rosa. He was Nate's homeroom teacher, but Nate was moved to Mrs. Godfrey's homeroom later on.
Personality and Traits
Nate describes as a "too burned out teacher, and does not care about what his students do". It is shown that he makes them work on "special projects". He likes Nate as only a small friend, although most of the time he is bothered by Nate. In Big Nate Goes For Broke, he and Nate have a very strong friendship.
Ken Rosa received a Master's degree in Art. Eventually, he began teaching the subject at P.S. 38.
Big Nate In A Class By Himself
After class with Ms. Clarke, Nate Wright, Teddy Ortiz, and Francis Pope head off to see normal things at their school. Then they see drawings on a display case, and learn that Artur’s shoe drawing is the most popular for two months at a row. In art class, Nate tries to get Ken Rosa to put his drawing in the display case, but Rosa claims he doesn’t have time (saying he doesn't have time for frivolous requests). Rosa then assigns everyone to make puppet heads. Nate whispers to Francis to create a distraction, which he does, resulting the class going wild and Mr. Rosa calms them down. Nate gets his green light, but when trying to open the display case, the doorknob breaks off. Mr. Rosa hears this, and rushes out to find Nate holding the knob in his hand. Rosa gives Nate his third detention of the day. Nate also mentions that Rosa has never given a detention before in that year.
Passage to Jefferson
In this book, Mr. Rosa is the cartooning club faculty adviser. Nate told Rosa and Mrs. Everett about the Ultimate Snowdown, which was an attempt to defeat Jefferson, convinced them to act as the judges for the contest. The event, which began at 10:00 A.M., was held on Saturday on the Soccer Field. As everyone organized their building posts, Jefferson hanged a tarp so no one would notice them using their mascot, though the P.S. 38 students did not notice this at first. Apparently, Rosa and Everett waited in a place where they could not witness the design of both projects. Everybody began work for the next six hours. When it was 3:00 (the time for judging), Jefferson had lost since they had just put snow over the old suit of armor in the storage room, which Rosa and Nate both noticed. P.S. 38, on the other hand, made their sculpture out of snow, using an icicle for an arrow and nail polish for blood. Everett and Rosa both agreed that P.S. 38 had won for their creativity, and then announced P.S. 38's victory. They had finally surpassed Jefferson Middle School.
Ken Rosa is Nate's favorite schoolteacher. According to Nate, Rosa has never given him a detention slip except the time when he broke the lock to the display case. Nate excels in Rosa's subject, which is art, and the two are generally on friendly terms with each other.
Mrs. Godfrey and Mr. Rosa used to be enemies. However, they are now pretty friendly to each other, with Mrs. Godfrey even helping Mr. Rosa once when his back went out.
- In Big Nate Goes For Broke, it is revealed that he has a Dog.
- He has a Master's Degree.
- He has been teaching students at P.S 38 for a very long time. In a comic strip, a young man with his wife spotted Mr. Rosa working at the ice cream place and said that Mr. Rosa taught him when he was a kid. Mr. Rosa then thought "I should have flunked that little (censored) the first chance I got."
- His summer job is at an ice cream place
- He really wanted to be a artist, he even had his own art show.
- He has the lowest rating on Nate's 'P.S. 38 ANGERGRAPH!', rated as 'miffed monthly'
- He is the manager of P.S 38's chess club.
- Nate once did a survey with the students in school about who is the most liked teacher, and Mr Rosa came last. Mr Granger came first, and Mr Rosa said "Mr Granger?! Granger the Stranger?!"
- Once, Mr. Rosa hanged his own paintings in his room to inspire his students. It failed, however, when Nate thought one of the paintings looked like a painting made by a monkey that he saw on "Oprah"
- The janitor once told Nate that he gets paid more than Mr. Rosa