|Grandparent(s):||Unknown names, one is 20 years older than the other|
|Nemesis:||Randy Betancourt, Nolan and other Jefferson students|
|Friend(s):||Nate, Teddy, Chad, Artur, Dee Dee, Sheila (Girlfriend), Jenny, Breckenridge Puffington III.|
|First Appearance:||January 17, 1991|
Francis always wears a green shirt with a F in the center of it. He also wears jeans and circular glasses. His outfit only changes in the winter, when he swaps it for something warm.
Personality and Traits
Francis has been shown to be very kind and friendly to other people. Although he is smart and caring, he is also geeky; his geekiness can become annoying toward his friends, like Nate and Teddy (like whenever Francis gets a new book of facts). Francis is highly intelligent for affairs relating to school. Francis can also sometimes be shown/called a nerd, mostly because he sometimes carries around a book of tons of facts. He is also very neat.
Nate and Francis became best friends in kindergarten at naptime. When Francis began snoring, Nate hit him on the head with his Thomas the Tank Engine lunchbox, and that is how they became friends. Francis has been in every Big Nate book.
Along with Teddy Ortiz, Nate Wright is Francis' best friend at home and school. Like Teddy, Francis is also annoyed by Nate's irrational and sometimes annoying behavior, especially in the comic books. The two first met in kindergarten, where Nate hit Francis on the head with a Thomas the Tank Engine lunchbox to cease the sound of his snoring. In third grade, their friendship became so strong that both of them swore each other to secrecy about their darkest secret. Nate was frightened of cats, and Francis' middle name had the word "butt" in it. In both elementary and middle school, the two of them got into several fixes, but they always tend to make up. According to Nate, the fact that they occasionally pick on each other is part of the way they operate. One incident where Nate broke their third grade secret and Francis thought Nate lost a camera he had lent to him led to a temporary, intense hatred for each other that nearly tore apart their friendship altogether. The only thing Nate seems to hate about Francis in general is his aptitude for being neat and a goody two-shoes, which Francis probably knows. He is also very annoyed when Francis talks to him about trivia.
Teddy Ortiz is the other of Francis' two best friends. They tend to pick on each other but according to Nate, this is how they operate. Like Francis, Teddy also finds Nate to be somewhat annoying.
Sheila Stapleton was Francis' girlfriend. Their relationship seemed to last throughout most of the school year, though it is possible they met in elementary school. Their relationship is such that Francis calls Sheila "Pookie", and Sheila calls Francis "cubby." Sheila is also willing to respect Francis' friends, namely Nate Wright, even though Nate thinks their relationship is annoying to him. According to him, Francis is not himself around Sheila (likely correct).
According to Nate, Francis thinks Gina Hemphill-Toms to be a "pain." At an unknown date, they were forced to work together on the Cronicle, after Gina attempted to take full control of the affair.
At one point, Francis had a crush on Ellen Wright, Nate's older sister.
Francis respects Mrs. Godfrey (not as much as Gina but still) as a good teacher in the newer comics.
- Across Big Nate, including both the comics and books, he and Nate seen making fun of each other is common. But as stated in Big Nate Strikes Again, that is how they operate.
- Francis was very chubby as a baby as a result to baby fat.
- He is a member of the P.S. 38 cartooning club.
- Francis fell in love with Ellen in Big Nate: Add More Babes
- Francis' and Nate's houses are right next to each other.
- In Big Nate Flips Out, his biggest secret is that his middle name is Butthurst.
- He is obsessed with trivia.
- Despite Nate unfavorable view of Mrs. Godfrey, Francis is still kind to her.
- Francis is the captain of the Trivia Slam team "Francis's Factoids".
- Francis and Gina are almost the same when it comes to intelligence. In one comic, it is revealed his GPA (grade point average) is 99.5 and Gina's is 99.8
- His name is a reference to Pope Francis.
- He wants to be an epidemiologist.
- In Big Nate Flips Out he and Nate have a falling out when Nate loses the camera that Francis borrowed for him.
- As mentioned in a Halloween comic in 1992, Francis is allergic to raw eggs, liquid detergent, and toilet paper
- In big Nate flips out Randy bullies Francis by calling him butt-boy.
- At the end of Big Nate flips out Francis prefers Nate as being messy.
- Although Francis prefers cats, he still doesn't mind dogs, unlike Nate who hates cats and loves dogs.