|Grandparent(s):||Unknown Names, one 20 years older than the other|
|Nemesis:||Randy Betancourt, Nolan and other Jefferson students|
|Friend(s):||Nate, Teddy, Chad, Artur, Dee Dee, Sheila, Jenny|
|First Appearance:||1991 comic|
Francis Butthurst Pope III (or simply Francis), is Nate's #1 friend (despite his #1A friend, Teddy), although he is kind of a nerd, and the deuteragonist of Big Nate, according to Nate, placing him as his #1 friend. He was/is the electric guitarist for Nate's garage band, Enslave the Mollusk (EtM). Francis is very intelligent. Much to Nate's annoyance, he is often expressing the superiority of cats to dogs, him being a cat person and even owning a cat named Pickles (whom Spitsy has a crush on). Although Nate and Francis make fun of each other, making fun of each other is how they operate, as said in Big Nate Strikes Again, Francis is friendly to Mrs. Godfrey and to Artur, contrary to Nate's feelings. Francis also has a mother, to which he described, in Big Nate from the Top, was "quite slender."
Nate and Francis became best friends in kindergarten at naptime. When Francis began snoring, Nate hit him on the head with his Thomas the Tank Engine lunchbox, and that is how they became friends.
Francis has been shown in Big Nate to be very friendly to other people and intelligent for school-related stuff. Francis can also sometimes be shown/called a nerd, mostly because he sometimes carries around a book of tons of facts.
- Francis often expresses why cats are better than dogs.
- Across Big Nate, including both the comics and books, he and Nate seen making fun of each other is common. But as stated in Big Nate Strikes Again, that is how they operate.
- Francis was very chubby as a baby as a result to baby fat.
- He is a member of the P.S. 38 cartooning club.
- Francis' and Nate's houses are right next to each other.
- In Big Nate Flips Out, his biggest secret is that his middle name is Butthurst.
- He is obsessed with trivia.
- Despite Nate unfavorable view of Mrs. Godfrey, Francis is still kind to her.
- Francis is the captain of the Trivia Slam team "Francis's Factoids".
- Francis and Gina has almost the same smartness. In one comic, it is revealed his GPA (grade point average) is 99.5 and Gina's is 99.8
- His name is a reference to Pope Francis.
- He wants to be an epidemiologist.